A changing climate for development – A toolkit for assessing climate risks for built environment and infrastructure projects
Climate Ready Clyde and Adaptation Scotland have collaborated to produce a toolkit for assessing and addressing risks in the development of built environment and infrastructure projects.
Funded by Scottish Government, and launched in partnership with Adaptation Scotland as part of their broader Adaptation Capability Framework, the toolkit removes a significant number of practical barriers for organisations in Glasgow City Region and beyond to adopt systematic screening processes, in turn:
- helping organisations embed systematic appraisal of climate risk and adaptation into delivery of capital investments;
- supporting creation of financeable projects by better aligning with lenders and financiers requirements on climate risks; and
- raising the standard of commissions and briefs for climate risk assessment.
What’s in the toolkit
The toolkit outlines the changing financial and regulatory contexts for project development, and provides knowledge and practical tools to consider risks alongside the development of business cases and delivery of projects. It also includes four project examples from Glasgow City Region which are embracing this approach, featuring Climate Ready Clyde members Glasgow City Council, University of Glasgow and University of Strathclyde, as well as Sustrans.
The toolkit is flexible, and designed to be customised to fit individual organisation’s or area’s own unique context. The methods cover the entire project development and delivery process, from early screening to risk assessments and adaptation planning, and are aligned to those required by the majority of international financing and funding institutions such as the European Investment Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
The full toolkit and individual tools are available for download below:
- Complete handbook and set of tools (.zip)
- A changing climate for development (.pdf)
- Tool 1: Project information and adaptation aspirations template (.docx)
- Tool 2: Climate screening template (.docx)
- Tool 3: Mini risk assessment template (.docx)
- Tool 4: Climate risk and opportunity assessment workbook (.xlsx)
- Tool 4: Climate risk and opportunity assessment workbook handbook (.docx)
- Tool 5 : Model invitation to tender (.docx)
- Tool 8: Risk and opportunity mapping workshop template (.docx)